Monday, May 18, 2009

Grandparents and quilts

I thought I would share a little about myself in today's post. Like I have stated in my profile I enjoy quilting and scrap booking. I am a beginner at both and I have to say that I enjoy quilting more. I started learning how to quilt about a year ago. My husband's grandmother taught me. She is 89 years old and has quilted pretty much her entire life. Growing up I never did projects with my grandparents and before I really realized how valuable their skills and wisdom were they were gone. When I decided I wanted to learn how to quilt I knew exactly who to turn to. She helped me piece, quilt and bind the quilt shown below. It took us approximately 4 months to make. We hand stitched everything.


I absolutely love this quilt. I've made a couple of baby quilts since we completed the one shown here. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of these but I was very please with how they turned out. I am currently working on a small lap quilt with a flower applique. I'm excited to see how it turns out. I'll be sure and post pictures when I complete it.

It's amazing what grandparents can teach us if we just simply ask. Like I said earlier, my father's mother died before I could fully appreciate the wisdom she had to pass on. Both of my grandfathers passed away when I was young. My mother's mother is still living but refuses to talk to my family. I miss her and have often thought that I should be the bigger person and forgive her for her indiscretions. It's hard though to just look the other way. I don't understand her reasons for shutting my family out. It's been an ongoing thing since I started college. I've talked to her probably a total of 5 times since 2002. I contacted her to invite her to my wedding two years ago and she told me that she would not come. After this I decided that I would leave the decision up to her on whether she wanted to be apart of my life. I realize now that if I want her to be apart of my life I'm going to have to be person who makes contact. I can't fathom having children someday and her not knowing them. I think it's crazy to not to want to be involved with you grandchildren's lives. I know some day she will regret the decisions she has made. I simply hope and pray that things work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment