Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Homemade Topiary

DIY Day @ ASPTL


I love topiaries. I have several around the house that I purchased here and there. The other day I decided to try to make my own.

Here it is.



It's not quite finished but there was enough done to take a picture. To tell you the truth I ran out of flowers and need to go get more.

It's pretty easy to make. Here's a photo of the supplies I used.

I used a spray adhesive to attach the silk flowers to the Styrofoam ball. I recommend wearing gloves. I didn't and had a time getting the glue off my hands.

I really like how it had turned out.

In other news...

I'm horrible at gardening.

That's probably a little harsh. I did grow some very tasty squash and tomatoes. I even tried my hand at making pickles. They are not quite ready. I'll let you know.

However, I was a little surprised the other day when I was tending to the garden and found something unexpected.


A pumpkin!!

Did I plant pumpkins? No.
Did I think this was going to be a watermelon? Yes.

See, I planted watermelons. I found this growing in the same place I planted the watermelon plant. It was very dark green and I was a little confused about why it was different than the other watermelons that were growing on the vine.

Two days ago I was working in the garden and turned it over and it was orange! And it now looked like a pumpkin. I was a little boggled about where it came from.

THEN I remembered...

We carved pumpkins last Halloween and threw the scrapings from the pumpkins over into this area.

2 comments:

  1. Love it!! What a cute topiary!! I am going to try to make one. Your pumpkin is cute too, what a great surprise!!

    ReplyDelete