Sunday, July 12, 2009

Wedding Gown Woes



I don't know if anyone else has problems with beetles but we do. We find them all the time and no matter what we do they just keep coming. Lately, its been worse. Well today my husband found two beetles in our master bathroom. This is where I usually find them too. After finding them, he went on a hunting spree for them. I told him to move my wedding gown bag and he might find where they are hiding them.

I hate to admit it but my wedding gown has been spending the last two years in the storage hanging bag under my rack in the closet. I was reading a post just a couple of days ago on a blog I follow that mentioned how she hadn't done anything with her wedding gown and it had been two years. I completely related with her. Our two year anniversary is just a couple of days away and the dress is still stashed away in the bag. I haven't even had it cleaned. It's awful I know.

I've decided I'm going to do what a lot of people seem to be doing these days and rather than have the dress preserved and stored away somewhere, I'm going to have it made into a christening gown for our family. We don't have children yet but do plan on starting a family in the next couple of years. Neither Daniel or I have a family christening gown (that we are aware of) so I thought it would be a great time to start this family tradition.

I hate the thought of my wedding gown just lying in a box, rotting away. Converting the dress into a christening gown to be passed down through the family feels like a great way to make use of it.

I pulled the dress out today to look at it. This is the first time it has been out of the bag since I placed it back in it after the wedding. It's a beautiful dress. I love it so much. I was amazed to feel how heavy it was. Here's a picture of me in the dress. This is a good shot of the back of the dress.
And here is a picture of the bead detail on the dress. It was ivory with champagne colored details. The beading continued down the bodice and onto the train of the dress.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful dress! Five years after I got married my mom suprised me and had it preserved in the box. If it were up to me it would still be in the bag in my closet 9 years later!

    ReplyDelete